June 11, 2013

An early love for reading

Just about as long as Darbee Rae has been able to talk, she has wanted to read.  I remember when she was itty bitty she would constantly ask me "Mommy, what does that say?" 
She has had a strong desire to learn to read.  She has always enjoyed books.  Just about every night before bed, we read her a story.  When she packs a bag of things to do in the car for trips there is always a stack of books.  
I started taking her to the library at a very young age.  We attended laptime and story time there and she was allowed to choose several books to "buy" as she called it.
Now, she is reading like a champ!  It is amazing how much she can read.  Huge words like neighborhood and responsibility.  She is so good at sounding words out.  She is at such a fun stage where she is like a sponge.  The more you give her to learn, the more she wants.  
At bedtime now, she reads a book to us.  She constantly plays school and "teaches a book class." Our lesson today was on lightning.  She read me a science book about lightning and how it forms.  
I thought this afternoon was a good time to do something special.
She and I headed over to our public library and she got her very own library card!

She was so excited.  Look how hard she is concentrating signing her name to her card. So serious!

She was all smiles.  We headed over to the kids section where she then signed up for the summer reading program.  She also looked through all the books and chose quite a few to bring home.
She couldn't wait to get home and start reading.


That is exactly what she has been doing all afternoon.  Reading to me.
I love it.
I am so proud of her.

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. I think Darbee Rae sitting in her special place on the arm of the sofa and reading to me is my most favorite thing we do together lately. I am so proud she shares our love for books and is doing such an amazing job. Yes, she definitely surprises me with her vocabulary words. Results of a good mommy and a wonderful teacher.
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me so proud. It warms me heart and soul to hear children read and to see the love of books. I agree with Angela, a good mama, (and grandma,) and a good teacher. Also the DESIRE to learn has to be thrown in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so wonderful! I am hoping Declan will do the same. ( My husband and I both love to read.)

    ReplyDelete